FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 6, 2016
American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada Announces 50th Anniversary Gala Honorees
Honorees include notable dignitaries Jan Jones, Paula Francis, Colin Seale, Sheila Leslie and Richard Siegel
LAS VEGAS – American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada (ACLUNV) has selected the honorees to be recognized for their efforts to protect civil rights and liberties at the ACLUNV’s 50th Anniversary Gala on Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 6 p.m. at the Wynn Las Vegas.
The five notable Nevada dignitaries include:
· Executive Vice President, Government Relations & Corporate Responsibility for Caesars Entertainment Corporation and former Las Vegas mayor, Jan Jones, will be honored with the Community Equality Award for her dedication to upholding equality in the community, including her work for LGBT rights, women’s rights and gender equality.
· Television journalist Paula Francis, who spent more than 30 years in the television industry serving the Las Vegas community, will receive the First Amendment, Freedom of Press Award.
· Colin Seale, Las Vegas attorney, and founder and CEO of ThinkLaw, will receive the Community Juvenile Justice Award at the gala for his advocacy and commitment to teaching young people about justice and fairness, and developing their critical thinking skills.
· Former Nevada State Senator and Assemblywoman, Sheila Leslie will be recognized with the Liberty in Government Award for her commitment to ensuring the government recognizes and honors our liberties in the lawmaking process, and how our laws are applied.
· Richard Siegel, a founding member of the ACLUNV, past president for 10 years, and ACLU National Board member for 13 years, will be honored for his activism and public service, including helping to create the ACLU’s public education and international human rights programs. Siegel currently is a Professor Emeritus of Political Science at the University of Nevada, Reno, he will receive the Emily Wanderer Award.
“These five individuals deserve to be honored for their commitment and passion to advancing civil liberties and civil rights for all Nevadans, and we look forward to celebrating them and their accomplishments at our 50th Anniversary Gala,” said Tod Story, executive director.
The gala will include dinner, a silent auction, entertainment, and a VIP ticket option that includes a one-hour cocktail reception and meet-and-greet with world-renowned artist and designer, John Van Hamersveld. Tickets are on sale now and are priced at $250 per person with VIP tickets priced at $350 each. Tickets can be purchased online at https://aclunv.org/50thAnniversary.
About American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada
Started in 1966, the ACLU of Nevada is celebrating its 50th year of public service. The ACLU of Nevada is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to the defense and advancement of civil liberties and civil rights for all people in Nevada. For additional information, please visit http://www.aclunv.org.
# # #